Do I recommend carrying a first aid kit? Sure I do. You ever had to try explain that you have constipation to a pharmacist who can only speak Mandarin? Trust me, interpretive dance can only take you so far. You cannot plan for every scenario though and the more you research, the more convinced you’ll be that you need a suture syringe kit and a bag of saline, just in case. May as well throw in some cobra anti-venom as well. Before you go a bit crazy, have a read.
This is my first aid kit checklist. I don’t take all of this away with me on every trip of course, but I have this stuff to hand so I can pack it if I think I might need it.
Of course, before using any of this stuff on yourself, you should consult your doctor. I mean, I don't know if you are allergic to paracetamol or something. If you are, then maybe don’t add it to your first aid kit, right? Also make sure you know what this stuff is and how to use it. Talk to a doctor or a pharmacist before you start self medicating.
You can download this list here.
- Pain killers. Analgesic. Like aspirin or paracetamol.
- Antihistamine. I get a heat rash sometimes and I find these help.
- Antiseptic wipes - Iodine swabs
- Antiseptic cream
- Band Aids
- Gauze and bandages
- Strapping tape
- Safety pins
- Diarrhoea medicine - Imodium
- Laxatives. Nothing too extreme. You don't need to cleanse yourself out completely.
- Antacid for indigestion
- Cold and flu tablets
- Motion sickness tablets, if you need them.
- Sting cream - Aluminium sulfate. This is found in some deodorants
- Anti-fungal or antibacterial cream
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Re-hydration sachets
- Eye drops
- Insect repellent
- Hand sanitiser
- Condoms or other contraceptive
Also take along your prescription medication if you have any. Remember to pack your prescription and your doctors phone number in case you have any issues.
Your doctor may add a few other things as well, depending on where you are going and what you will be doing. Make sure you understand when you should use everything.
Of course try to avoid needing any of this by looking after yourself. Help me make this list better if you can!